2023 City/School Election
November 7, 2023
School and City Elections are combined and held in November of odd-numbered years. A City election is used to elect the Mayor and Council Members and any other elected city officials. A School Election is an election to select School Board members within the district.
Pre-Registration deadline for voter registration closes at 5:00pm Monday, October 23. Persons wishing to participate in this election who register to vote after October 23 will be required to provide proof of identification (i.e. current and valid photo identification card with an expiration date), AND proof of residency in their voting precinct, when they go to the polls on election day, or when they request an absentee ballot in-person. Other provisions may also apply. Persons not registered to vote by October 23, should expect a longer processing time at the polls on election day.
Absentee Ballots will be available beginning Wednesday, October 18, for mail and in person voting. Download the absentee ballot request form here.
- The Auditor's Office can begin accepting Request Forms on Tuesday, August 29.
- The first day of in-person absentee voting and the first day the Auditor's Office can mail ballots is Wednesday, October 18.
- The last day an absentee ballot may be mailed to a voter for this election is Monday, October 23.
- In-person absentee voting at the Auditor's Office closes at 4:30pm on Monday, November 6.
Extended hours are available for voter registration and absentee voting at the Clayton County Auditor's Office. In addition to regular hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, extended office hours will be as follows:
- Monday, October 23 - 8am to 5pm
- Friday, November 3 - 8am to 5pm
- Tuesday, November 7 - Election Day; Polls and Auditor's Office open from 7am to 8 pm. (Voting only available at the polls)
Voter ID Requirements
Click Here for examples of acceptable voter identification requirements.
Candidate filing period is August 28th – September 21st for the Regular City Election, Primary City filing period is August 14th – August 31st. Candidates will file with the Auditor’s Office.
Primary Cities - Elkport, Garber, North Buena Vista, Osterdock
- School Candidates: School candidates will file with the School Secretary. The minimum number of signatures to collect to run for a School Board member are:
- Central School District - 24 signatures
- Clayton Ridge School District - 38 signatures
- MFL MarMac School District - 38 Signatures
- Starmont School District - 25 signatures
- City Candidates: City candidates will file with the Auditors Office. 10 signatures (minimum) are required to run for an elected City official.
- Guttenberg Hospital Board: 25 signatures
- Other important candidate and information and forms can be found here.
Results Available on Election Night
0/12 Precincts Counted
Precincts and Polling Locations
County Office Building · 600 Gunder Rd NE · Elkader, IA 52043 Precinct Map
Millville County Shop · 35180 Hwy 52 · Guttenberg, IA 52052 Precinct Map
Strawberry Point Civic Center · 401 Commercial Street · Strawberry Point, IA 52076 Precinct Map
Garnavillo Community Building · 106 W Niagara Street · Garnavillo, IA 52049 Precinct Map
St. Paul's Fellowship Hall · 700 Washington Street · Volga, IA 52077 Precinct Map
Elkport-Garber Community Center · 120 Main Street · Elkport, IA 52044 Precinct Map
Farmersburg Community Center · 107 S Main Street · Farmersburg, IA 52047 Precinct Map
Monona Community Center · 104 S Egbert Street · Monona, IA 52159 Precinct Map
Turner Hall · 119 E Greene St · Postville, IA 52162 Precinct Map
Guttenberg Municipal Building · 502 First Street · Guttenberg, IA 52052 Precinct Map
Edgewood City Hall · 203 W Union St · Edgewood, IA 52042 Precinct Map
Marquette Community Center · 102 North Street · Marquette, IA 52158 Precinct Map